Thursday, October 23, 2008

Brick Story

I am a brick and my story is an unbearably long one. Once, I was just clay and rocks. Now I serve a purpose in the world.
Many years ago, men came and dug out what I am made of. By combining these many spawn of the earth, I was created. Like my brothers, all like me, I was born of fire. I was abused and violently tossed around, like a ragdoll. One day, I was loaded onto a truck to my final destination. In a pile of others like me, I sat for days, maybe weeks, unable to move. Every person that walked by, I prayed would be the one to take me from this pit of despair. For far too long, that person never came.
After sitting alone for what seemed like an eternity, I was rescued by a man who took me and my brothers and stacked us, one on top of the other. I waited and waited. I watched and entire school be built. I sat in the cold darkness every night. Loneliness is never truly known to a human, until you’ve been put in a wall, which I would never wish upon anyone. I watched walls go up; carpets go down and I saw the creation which I helped build.
When the everlasting realm, which was my new home, was completed, I noticed new people come to the building seemingly to meet me. These people did not build anything though. They sat at desks and wrote in books. These people stayed for about nine months, then left; occasionally I never saw them again, but usually they came back. I heard and saw many things. I saw adults tell students about history, science, math, and the art of literature. I heard many things: bullying, kind words, educational lectures, but above all, I heard society. I saw the people meet with friends and experience relationships. I heard words of cruelty. I heard the gentle comforts which flow from a human’s mouth. I heard the hypocrisy of the adults talking so rudely of their students and yet they committed the same sins.
I learned many things from these people. I learned Russian, French, English, Spanish and I learned slang, the one uniting language among people. I learned that every triangle has a hypotenuse and two legs. I learned that you use a semicolon when combining two sentences. I learned that the Vikings landed first in North America. I saw, heard and learned many things, but the most prominent in my mind is that no creature is perfect, nor do they believe they are. However, one creature seems to see itself as all knowing, and all seeing. This species is the human. No matter what they believe they are, they are imperfect. I don’t admit to being better than them, but at least I can do no wrong. After all, I sit in a wall. I serve no purpose besides supporting the building housing these creatures. Without bricks humans couldn’t survive. They do nothing for me.

1 comment: